CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Aloha

Welcome to the island side of life. Sure, Kerch is a peninsula, but, when compared to Kharkiv, the culture resembles a Russian Hawaii. I feel so good here. It is a spiritual face lift.

Sergey beats me to telling you all our schedule... but I'll do a mini recap as well.

We had a nice little train ride. It was myself, Sergey, Yana and her friends from the University. Mama also came, but sat in a different compartment because Sergey couldn't possibly have his mother traveling with us. Mom, I would totally have you come with us... for the record. Despite that, it was pretty nice. The girls spoke English... Yana better than others :) and xenia (the boy) didnt speak a lick. We made the most of our stuffy, open, dodgy room. Talked the best we could and got limited shut eye.

When we rolled up to the station, Yana's mom was there waiting for us with her boyfriend. After Yana and her gang was dropped off, Sergey, Mama and I went to Sergey's flat. (The Kharkiv house was Sergey's Grandmas... we were all just guests). We ate food and then went to the Hope Center. This is where I met Matt, Sarah and Cambell. :) I love them already. I'm not just saying that because I know that Matt subscribed to my blog... but honestly my spirit feels different when I'm in their little house on the campgrounds. I am excited on all that I can learn from their family and am relieved by the comfort of their presence.

That night Sergey and I went to Yana's for a feast. We had all the essentials: Chicken, pizza, potatos, fish salad, tomato/cucumber salad, bread and the celebratory champagne. It was a lovely time and I still don't think I could have thanked them properly for their hospitality. After dinner we went down town to hang out with the city for YOUTH DAY.. which is aparently a holiday here :) Everyone was out on the boardwalk, dancing, hanging out, karaoke-ing and well... most of them were drinking. The night was merry. I joined in on the dancing with the help of a red bull and had a blast with the train gang and Marsha, an old friend from last year.


On Monday Sergey and I went to the Internet cafe where I emailed a few people (and didn't update my blog). I had limited time and had to use it for details that could not be ignored. When our time expired, we took a little walk down through the park and to the orphanage. We stopped to see our 200 pound, cement step friends so I could reflect a little on last year... R.I.P. Arhur's finger. Arthur... I said a little prayer for you at the tripping point. It was good to take some time and include my team from last year through remembering the challenges of last year. Miss you guys.

At the orphanage, Sergey and I improved our way into some duck duck goose. I wasn't sure we were even going to do anything that day other than a meet and greet... but surprise Tommy... of course you are supposed to have a 5 step plan of action. The kids had a good time though. We played some games, both ones that you would know and others that were Russian and... well i still don't understand them. The boys wanted to wrestle around and play fight... the girls wanted to hit me and pull me around... the little ones wanted to stare at me. On that note... the children all were a little skeptical. Some of them remembered me from last year. Others were really too young. Most of the little ones (ages 2-4 maybe???) kinda put their head down and retreated into themselves or behind a familiar face for a little bit. Once they let you hold them though, they didn't want to be put down. Good news for them... I'll be there to hold them for the next week.









I get to go back to the orphanage. I brainstormed some fun games to play with Robbie Willet and I am going to do some basic Bible stories with the kids. Mainly, though, I am just going to go along with the motions and let me show them how they want to be loved, all the while assuring them that I do love them, but more importantly... God always has and always will... even in my absence.




Monday night I was welcomed into the circle of Sergey's high school friends. Interesting people. Most of them knew English on a conversational level. It was nice.

Tuesday I didn't go back (they had an orientation for a camp like thing for other orphans and children of poooooor families). Crazy times around that place.. my next visit will have around 80 kids... at least that is the word on the street. Instead, the gang went to the beach. I swam with Jelly fish in the black sea. When I found out I was swimming with jelly fish... I quickly got out. :) Marsha held one in her hand... Sergey did the same with a dead one....



After the beach was a trip to a Russian Fortress... a SECRET FORTRESS!!!! It was really cool. The place was over 200 years old.. most of it was underground. There is a lot of history to it that I will not be going into.. but i can refer you the DVD of the excursion (in Russian) which Sergey's uncle burned for me when we got back. It was pretty awesome, besides the biting Kerch gnats.

Today is Wednesday the 2nd. Sergey, Yana and I went to the camp while we waited for the orphanage visit. We hung out with Matt and his family. It was a very pleasant visit. Matt can't really escape our presence.. on account that he pissed off his ax and it sliced open his foot. Him being miserably bored aside, I had fun.

The orphanage was cancelled today... I guess there was some sort of formal thing with a thing that they had to attend.... All that matters is that they were busy. I'll be there tomorrow though.

TOMORROW IS YANA's BIRTHDAY!!!!! I'll start the day off with a trip to the Hope Center so that I can do some dirty work, renevating one of the buildings. We break for a birthday lunch celebration in honor of Yana. Then, at 3, Sergey and I will be at the orphanage. After loving on them, we will be attending Yana's bday dinner bash. Then... the disco hahahahahaha

OK OK. So life is good here. Relaxing was great but now I get to get down and get funky... in the words of punky bruster... i think... more.. in the words of a joke from my dad. I am feeling refreshed. Thank you all for praying. Send some love my way. Some bible verses that are extra interesting for some reason.

I love you all. As always, may God guide you in the steps towards faith, hope and love. I pray that he grants you peace to understand His mercy and sovereignty. He is with you as He is with me, loving us in ways we don't see or understand. Take heart.

-Tommy

2 comments:

Shae'Von said...

awesome recap and photo-journalism skills. love ya :)

Debbie said...

Wow, what a recap! Sounds like you are really busy, just like you like it :) The children are beautiful! I wish I could be there to love on them and hug them the way I did you when you were little. I know that kind of love shows in you, or you wouldn't be there. I know I have said it several times before, but you amaze me! I am sooooo blessed and I am soooo proud of the man you have become. Kinda tooo mushy, huh? I love the pictures! Tomorrow morning we leave for the river for the 4th of July weekend. I am soooo excited! I really miss that place. I miss you, but the updates and pics make me feel closer. I hope you feel the love and prayers! Psalm 18:1 I love you Lord;you are my strength.

I love you, son. You are one of the reasons I breath.
Mom