CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Independence

Happy freedom America. I thank God for our history which, though violent at times, has allowed me to be here in Ukraine as well as other countless freedoms in my life.

Thursday: We made our way to the orphanage to find that it the director had already left. Without the rest of the staff knowing that we would be there... we showed up at the wrong time to do anything. We sat around outside for awhile and then decided that the 5-10 minutes left with the children would be more of a disappointment to them than anything. These kids need consistency and authenticity.. not rushed appointments. We decided to head straight to Yana's.

Yana's bday was pretty fun on my end. We had a nice birthday dinner.. where again I was forced to eat way too much, and then we headed to the disco. The dancing here is... bizarre to say the least. Wiggle your bodys in random motions and you cannot go wrong.

Friday: We actually got to go to the orphanage again. IT WAS FANTASTIC. We had a limited amount of kids when compared to the entire facility, but it was what was needed. Most of the kids recognized me and so we exchanged stories of our last year. They told me about the sea, I told them about Cali and we sang songs together. We only had 40 minutes, but it was a start to a connection that was essential. We all had a blast with our limited time.




After that, we headed to the Hope Center in order to celebrate the good ol' 4th of JULY. Like I said, there is an amazing American family that lives on the camp grounds; the Gaws. Jim, an inspiring man from Texas, also works there. My team from last year knows him well. We all got together (in a round about way) and decided to celebrate our freedom in the most American way possible, though we had limited American resources. We threw a BBQ for us and our Ukrainian friends. Hamburgers, hotdogs, Lays potato chips (translated in Russian) and a cake that Sarah let me decorated into an American flag. There were no explosions or sparklers, but it was still a very comforting occasion. We even got an attempt to sing our national anthem in front of our Ukrainian audience... we stumbled our way through it.





(Campbell, Matt and Sarah's son)




(Intense faces I know...)

Saturday: Sergey and I were joined by Yana as we went back to the orphanage. We did story time again, followed by singing and picture taking. The kids asked me about the cross that I wear around my neck (compliments of Sergey). I didn't go into extreme detail, but I got to explain to them the love of Jesus Christ, my friend and their friend. That opened up a conversation of what love really means. I dumbed it down in language they can understand, but basically, they got to hear that love is like having a lot of close friends that make a family. We talked about it in a little more profound way, but hey, whatta ya gonna do? They're kids :) A lot of them knew about Jesus Christ. It was nice to hear their take on Him.








After the orphanage Sergey and I broke away and went to the Black Sea. We relaxed for a little bit, taking in the sun and the fresh air. Then we went home to get ready for my American surprise. Sergey's mom wanted to take me out to celebrate my independence day, since she didn't get to on the actual day. We headed down town where we had the Ukrainian's take on pizza and enjoyed ea. other's company.

After dinner we walked along the boardwalk. This is where it gets interestingly fun. There were three young adults about my age with markers and colored pencils doing some street performing. Sergey talked to them and they told us who they were. They came from Russia on an art trip as students. They went to a restaurant and were charged more than the menu had indicated... so, they needed money for a bus fare. :) For 30 cents Sergey, Mama and I all got individual charactertures (spelling?) done by these art students. hahahaha it was a good time. Genuine Russian art for 10 cents a piece. :) Nice little souvenir.

Sunday: The train gang and Yana's mom and boyfriend all went to the Azolf Sea. It was kinda gloomy but still a nice time. We swam and ate and layed around. A good day which was only missing sun. Then, Sergey and I headed to his aunts house for a WARM shower. As always we were greeted with tea and cookies. When we finished we went down town to another disco. No real music.. just techno... and not real techno... just beats. It was... interesting....






I'll be going to the orphanage everyday for the next few days. I love those kids.
You need not worry, I am doing well. I love you all and I hope you had a great 4th! Blessings to all of you in times of struggle and times of comfort. Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice.

Peace and love,
Tommy

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love them too! Tommy, I know it will be really really hard for you to leave them. You will leave your love with them and God will do the rest! I cried tears of love and joy when I read your words and saw the faces of the people you are with. I am sooo blessed to be your mom!

Shae'Von said...

Tommy,
Leave please bring back there joy and the smiles on there face in exchange for the love you so freely give them and have for them in a well of abundance. its been so awesome to follow you on this journey and i know how much each person you have met and shared a bond with means to you. leave my love with them too if you can. keep me postedd love ya
~sis