CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Love is a painful thing

I'm gonna attempt to recap the past few days in a way that is short, yet still tells the whole story:

I've been punched and bitten, hung on by more than 5 kids at one time (usually 2 at any given moment), taught Russian by little kids who don't know English, been to the sea every day... which is code for being drowned by an unfair amount of kids, I've sang, I've danced, I've announced, I've played soccer, biffer, hand games, card games, written in books and just plain held kids for hours on end. I love my life.



Things are going well here. I'm falling in love with all the kids, but there are a few that are already choking me up when I start to think of saying my goodbyes. The connections that I am making are deep and meaningful. Sometimes I feel like I'm not even half the minister that they are to me.



Dasha is my little sweet-heart. She is 11, smart, humorous, clever, strong, ambitious and caring. She lights up when she sees me. She gets serious when she sings about God. She is creative when she is drawing in her notebook. She makes little challenges even with a ball by seeing how many times she can clap before it returns back into her hands after throwing it. Most of all, she melts in your arms. She doesn't hold on as if she is afraid of letting go... she lets go of herself and just coexists with you, in a blissful moment. She takes in life one moment at a time. She is an inspiration.




Vlad is crazy. He is the tiniest little thing with the most energy I've ever seen. He's also a biter. Funny kid though. He runs to you if he even spots you from across the camp grounds. He is young and used to survival, but he is sweet and I gladly take the punches.

Most all the kids are now flocking to me as well as everyone else who is here. They will come to you with a rippling effect, alerting all the kids to attack. They throw my arm around them, they pull me down to their level, they grab what ever finger is left to hold. They call me "big brother" and bury their head into my stomach. My heart breaks more an more ea. day with a bitter-sweet joy.

(Rosa wanted did this to me)





I'm having tons of fun being the voice of the camp.. so to speak. The kids really get into the boisterous persona that I tend to take on in front of a crowd of children. I now have to do all the dancing to the praise songs during bible time. The kids do it with me on the steps. I'm getting better at the lyrics. :)


We had a talent show last night. The kids did a really good job with what they prepared. The translators did a funny dancing number, the counsilers did a hilarious depiction on how the kids take control of them and hold them hostage, and the international team did a number of things from singing, a chin choir and recorders. After the show, the scene turned into a dance party. We all danced so much that we were dripping in sweat. It was awesome.




I woke up in the middle of the night last night, sick. I had some stomach problems and what I think was a fever. It has gone away since them, but it limited my activity today. I have a sore throat and a weaker body, but what else is new? I've taken the right medicine and have had people praying for me.. I'm all good.

I got to babysit Campbell today while the kids went to the sea. He never ceases to crack me up. Good job God.

It was a rainy day today, so we did indoor activities after lunch, including watching Horton Hears a Who... in Russian. I had a kid in my lap the entire time. It was comforting.

In other news... some of the tough kids are softening up. They have been watching the rest of the team and I from a distance, unsure of what to make of us. Now they are participating a little more and wanting to hang out with me. Its bizarre, but then again, its not. God is present here and it is evident.


There is so much to tell and I wish I could write it all, but its going by so fast its hard to keep a running log. I miss you all but I have to tell ya, its gonna be hard leaving the kids to come back home. I actually started to get choked up while writing this blog post. But I take heart in this, God is the God of hope, and He has been present in these kids lives before I came in. He is the one who is watching them while I am here will watch over them when I leave.

I love you all. I need to get to bed so I have energy to put my body through the grinder again tomorrow. Blessings.
-Tommy

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I hope you got my text. I love you sooo much! Love does hurt sometimes, but our awesome God will give us the grace and strength to get through. a couple of others in my office were reading along w/me. they said you are a very special young man and a great writer :) with a very big heart! Please give the children a BIG HUG from me and tell them they are loved and I will pray for them daily!
Love, Mom

Sergey Miroshnikov said...

Tommy you can't imagine what amazing job you are doing! Kids love you! They see the person who will help them, who will listen to them, who just can make feel good becuse of smile.... I feel the same as you...emotionaly i'm exosted..but i feel that we do the right job... I'm happy that you are here!!

Shae'Von said...

Love is a gift of giving, and it hurts the most when you realize that the giving is just the beginning especially with kids. I hope you a restored, physically adn emotionally, as to pbe at peace with the eventual good-byes. you and the kids are in my prayers. with arms wide open keep loving and hugging them! because its amazing
love, sis

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're really doing a great thing over there, and I'm sure the experience is training and preparing you for even bigger and better things. You got a little over a week left so make the most of it!